01. THU. Arrival in Addis Ababa. Have the tour of the capital: visit the Ethnological museum, Unity Park and St George church. Check in at hotel then and have a free afternoon. Meals free. ON (overnight) hotel.
02. Fly to Jinka & meet your vehicle. Visit one Ari people village or the Jinka museum (optional one of these). Dinner & ON hotel in Jinka
03. SAT. Early morning drive to visit the Mursi people. Here for beauty women put plates into their lips. Visits their culture, traditions, way of life and villages. Later back to Jinka & proceed then for the Hamer people & to Turmi. The Hamar (or Hamer) tribe are agro pastoralists, this means that they grow crops and keep livestock, but they place particularly high value on cattle. They are an extraordinary people with a unique expression and culture.If time permits visit also the very colorful Hamer, Karo and Dassanech market at Dimeka village, on the way driving from Jinka to Turmi. Lunch box on the way; dinner & ON Emerald lodge Turmi www.emeraldresortandlodge.com
04.Morning drive to Omorate, at bank of Omo river, to visit the Dassanech people. The Dassanech live around the Omo delta on the northern side of Lake Turkana. They practice flood retreat cultivation, pastoralism and fishing. The Dassanech are the most southerly tribe living in Ethiopia’s Omo valley. The lands of the Dassanech are semi-arid and they live where the Omo delta enters Lake Turkana. Their name means People of the Delta. Despite the lake and delta, this is an incredibly dry region; there is nothing but desert to the west and southwest. Cattle are central to the lives of the Dassanech, just as they are for the other tribes of the Omo valley. As well as meat, milk, leather for clothing, houses and mattresses, they provide status in the tribe, and the bride-wealth that allows a man to marry. Back to Turmi for lunch. Afternoon visit a Hamer villages and understand their way of life and culture. With luck we’ll try to participate to ceremonies as the bull jumping and the Evangadi dances. The Hamer are known for their unique custom of “bull jumping” which initiates a boy into manhood. First, female relatives dance and invite whipping from men who have recently been initiated; this shows their support of the initiate, and their scars give them a right to demand his help in time of need. The boy must jump back and forth twice across the backs of a row of bulls or castrated steers, and is ridiculed if he fails. Meals & ON Emerald lodge Turmi
05. MON. Morning walks to a Hamer village. Then following the villages persons going to the market, walk with them to the weekly the very colorful market of the Hamer, Karo and Tsemay people at Turmi village. Enjoy this vibrant market, meet different people and see how they merchandise. Relax around Emerald lodge then. Meals & ON Emerald lodge Turmi
06. TUE. Drive to visit the Erbore people and a village. Or optional (to choose one of the two) drive to Alduba village to visit the weekly Hamer, Tsemay and Erbore people market. Then continue to the Weyto valley and the Konso villages. Visit their culture, lifestyle, way of counting the age of the village, the community works and much more. This is a UNESCO heritage site! Have spectacular view over the hills too. Continue finally your drive to Arbaminch, to reach the Emerald Resort Arbaminch. Emerald Resort is a beautiful Resort with a spectacular view over the Rift Valley lakes of Chamo and Abaya which are divided by a mountain called in Amharic “Yezghier dildi” which means “Bridge of Heaven” and the Netch Sar National park, in Amharic meaning “white grass”.
07. Morning drive to Chencha mountain to visit the Dorze people, with their unique culture, houses and traditions. The Dorze are famous for their elephant truck shaped houses, their cultivation of the false banana (from which root they extract their traditional bread called Kotcho), the weaving works, cultivation of sorghum and more. Afternoon have a boat excursion on Chamo lake to admire the biggest crocodiles in Africa (reach 6 meters of length), hippos and many birds. Dinner & ON Emerald Resort Arbaminch.
08.THU.Morning relax at the Emerald Resort, enjoying the swimming pool, gym, spa, indoor and outdoor games and more. Then transfer airport to fly back to Addis Ababa. Afternoon then time for souvenir shops, shopping and relax. Dinner in a traditional restaurant with folkloristic dances. Then transfer to the airport for departure
***END OF OUR SERVICES, ENJOY YOUR TRIP***